maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Handling of repositories in POMs of dependencies
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:03:50 GMT
I would advocate not allowing them, but using them to provide useful
information in the case of a resolution exception that can easily
guide the user on what to do.

If folks strongly want to continue to allow it, I would go with a
prominent warning (which is the case for several other things now).

As to what the user is guided to do - I assume that is to declare them
as repositories in the current project, or to refer to their
repository manager's documentation to add it there (with this being
recommended). In the long run I'd hope Maven can better handle
multiple repositories OOTB (in a way that still complements the use of
a repository manager) - actually I remember briefly talking to Brian
about that at last year's ApacheCon Maven BOF :) Time flies...

- Brett