maven-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Handling of repositories in POMs of dependencies
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:53:10 GMT
I tend to agree, they should not really be used. It seems like these
third-party repositories have a strong potential for causing network
errors (in cases where the repo is down or on a private network), and
they definitely push the user in the direction of trusting anything that
comes from anywhere on the internet without thinking twice...not a great
idea, and an understandably unpopular one with companies.

I think the role of the <repository> declaration in the POM should be
shifted in Maven 3. I think this along the same lines that Brett was
talking, but I'd really like to see them take on an advisory role rather
than actively participate in resolution. In other words, if an artifact
cannot be found, then display the list of third-party repositories which
MIGHT contain the artifact, along with the POM that lists that repository.

This would help users request new repositories be added to the repo
manager in cases where there is one, and otherwise get permission to add
the repo to their settings.xml. In short, Maven would tell the user the
most likely reason the build cannot proceed, but not assume it's okey to
pursue the artifact to the ends of the earth.

-john