maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: Re : non-xml poms in 3.x
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 08:00:09 GMT

On 2009-09-08, at 9:49 AM, Christian Edward Gruber wrote:

> So - 2 points.
>
> 1.  Who's saying you have to actually have YAML poms IN the maven
> project - as long as I can find a way to (through autodiscovery of
> some mechanism) not have to do crazy wrappers.  You said these
> extension points would be there, so I'm happy.  (do note the smiley)

These are not going to be discovered. You are going to have to support
hooking in your format. Autodiscovery implies support on our side and
that's not going to happen. That's not a trivial system to make work
properly. I've tried and it's exactly the can of worms I'm talking
about. It's a few lines of code on your side. So again, the onus is
going to be on you to support your version of Maven that works with a
given POM format. There will be no autodiscovery mechanism in 3.x.

> 2.  Who's saying you ahve to change the internals of the maven pom
> in a way that would screw with integrations like m2eclipse, etc.
> Not I.

Neither did I, you misread. M2Eclipse won't even be able to read the
POM. These tools use their own parsers which integrate into the given
platform. In M2Eclipse we actually use EMF, not Maven's internal
parser. I'm sure Netbeans and IDEA have similar mechanisms. So there
isn't parity in the tooling either. The autodiscovery happening in the
core and then being magically picked up in tooling is a pipe dream.

> Note, I said canonical format, and someone else (can't remember who)
> pointed out that the object model is the truly canonical metadata
> model.  That's fine with me.  I'm talking about pre-generating in a
> way that's transparent from the CLI.  If that's by extensions,
> fine.  I just would rather not have mvn wrapper scripts to do it.

Ultimately in 3.x you'll be able to write your own front-end parser,
extend or overwrite a Guice wiring to put in what you like and then
you're ready to go. Or you could also make the autodiscovery mechanism
you talked about and wire that in.