maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replacing old Wagons in Maven 3.0 with the Jetty-client based Wagon
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:43:17 GMT

On 12/08/2009, at 5:58 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> John,

Not John, but I like to think I do a good impression :)

> What's the range of features across the two http Wagon's right now?

They really don't do anything more than the underlying httpclient /
JDK implementations. HTTP Headers, connection timeout, and then any
parameters supported by HTTPClient in that version.

> I assume in some cases we need the functionality of one versus the
> other so I would just like to improve the Jetty-client based Wagon
> and fix up what's required there,

I assume you mean the existing mercury-wagon (and its mercury deps),
not a new wagon based on the underlying jetty http client?

> add any functionality and toss the other two.

shouldn't maven 3 equally support switching implementations and
instead choosing the new one as a default / only built-in / supported
impl?

> I would like to have one good implementation and we can take
> advantage of the parallelization, PGP, and SSL support in the Jetty
> client.

I'm still not convinced doing the PGP this low down in the stack is a
good idea, I'd prefer it got fixed up in the core artifact handling so
it could be configured from the core and used in scp, etc.

- Brett