maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Extend Mojo API to allow for resolution of multiple dependency scopes
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:32:08 GMT

On 2-Aug-09, at 2:40 PM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Brian Fox wrote:
>
>> In the dependency and enforcer plugins where I potentially need
>> everything, I just ask for test to be resolved and then i pick the
>> elements i need.
>
> Yeah, I know, the problem I described is not impossible to solve.
> All I wondered is whether this pattern does not give evidence of a
> design weakness in the core that we could fix.

I believe it does. Having to make two calls to get what you need, or
using the test scope as Brian does shows there's something wrong.

Don't know if it's possible but I think in 3.x system scope should
just go away. Install the artifacts or for artifacts you need in the
JDK the strategy of creating a classloader for the tools you need
works well and we could make a helper for this.

The possibly resolving provided dependencies during test execution.
Maybe the resolution being aware of the part of the lifecycle. So
provided dependencies being available up until package and then shed.

Just thinking out loud. But I think there is a design problem for sure.

> Benjamin

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/SonatypeNexus
http://twitter.com/SonatypeM2E

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people
can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

  -- Paul Graham