maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: Replacing old Wagons in Maven 3.0 with the Jetty-client based Wagon
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:10:24 GMT

On 12-Aug-09, at 3:43 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 12/08/2009, at 5:58 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> John,
>
> Not John, but I like to think I do a good impression :)
>

>> What's the range of features across the two http Wagon's right now?
>
> They really don't do anything more than the underlying httpclient /
> JDK implementations. HTTP Headers, connection timeout, and then any
> parameters supported by HTTPClient in that version.
>

>> I assume in some cases we need the functionality of one versus the
>> other so I would just like to improve the Jetty-client based Wagon
>> and fix up what's required there,
>
> I assume you mean the existing mercury-wagon (and its mercury deps),
> not a new wagon based on the underlying jetty http client?

Same thing.

>> add any functionality and toss the other two.
>
> shouldn't maven 3 equally support switching implementations and
> instead choosing the new one as a default / only built-in /
> supported impl?

No. I'll take one good with the same features. That's why I'm asking
what's in both them. Users just want something that works, I doubt
anyone cares about switching unless they run into the corner cases
that force them to use one or the other.

>> I would like to have one good implementation and we can take
>> advantage of the parallelization, PGP, and SSL support in the Jetty
>> client.
>
> I'm still not convinced doing the PGP this low down in the stack is
> a good idea, I'd prefer it got fixed up in the core artifact
> handling so it could be configured from the core and used in scp, etc.
>
> - Brett

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/SonatypeNexus
http://twitter.com/SonatypeM2E

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.