maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Chaffee <jason.chaf...@zilliontv.tv>
Subject RE: Replacing old Wagons in Maven 3.0 with the Jetty-client based Wagon
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:37:31 GMT
It was just yesterday that I was just have a conversation with a former colleague about wagon
issues in 2.x and the difficulty in switching out implementations.  He was running into all
kinds of issues trying to do it and was not very happy about it.  Also, this is something
I have mentioned on the this list in the past about one of the things that I find annoying
about maven.

I know for a fact, that some people do care about switching and it is a bigger populace than
is given credit.

Kind regards,

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Brett Porter [mailto:brett@porterclan.net] On Behalf Of Brett Porter
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:28 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Re: Replacing old Wagons in Maven 3.0 with the Jetty-client based Wagon

On 12/08/2009, at 8:10 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 12-Aug-09, at 3:43 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>

>> On 12/08/2009, at 5:58 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>
>>> John,
>>
>> Not John, but I like to think I do a good impression :)
>>

>>> What's the range of features across the two http Wagon's right now?
>>
>> They really don't do anything more than the underlying httpclient /
>> JDK implementations. HTTP Headers, connection timeout, and then any
>> parameters supported by HTTPClient in that version.
>>

>>> I assume in some cases we need the functionality of one versus the
>>> other so I would just like to improve the Jetty-client based Wagon
>>> and fix up what's required there,
>>
>> I assume you mean the existing mercury-wagon (and its mercury
>> deps), not a new wagon based on the underlying jetty http client?
>>

> Same thing.

I'm talking about whether it will depend on mercury-core (and sat4j,
and commons-cli) or just jetty-client. (Or the other alternative to
pull out the mercury transport bits as a separate release).

Note that the current mercury-wagon hasn't been updated to the latest
artifacts, I'm not even sure if it builds once updated.

>>> add any functionality and toss the other two.
>>
>> shouldn't maven 3 equally support switching implementations and
>> instead choosing the new one as a default / only built-in /
>> supported impl?
>>

> No. I'll take one good with the same features. That's why I'm asking
> what's in both them. Users just want something that works, I doubt
> anyone cares about switching unless they run into the corner cases
> that force them to use one or the other.

Presumably those users with edge cases exist since John went to all
that effort to make it happen in 2.2. I'm all for using the Jetty one
and I'm sure they'll fix up any edge cases as we go, but given how
well established the lightweight HTTP one is, it might still be worth
having that available to start with. My impression was that switching
would be easier out of the box in M3's classloading so it wouldn't be
a big deal.