maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse McConnell <jesse.mcconn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggested change to site / release
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:34:08 GMT
>> 2) see commits in site branch.
>>
>> The basic approach is this:
>>
>> * push all release notes into docs/$version/release-notes.html instead of
>> the consolidated older format and add a page to list them in order
>>

> So if someone wants to see the historical list of changes they will need to
> look at N documents? The consolidated format is good as the history of
> change is kept in one place which is what people looking to migrate want to
> see.

we struggle with this for jetty as well...historically we have a
VERSIONS.txt file in the root of the project that is incrementally
updated with each resolves bugzilla or jira issue.  I don't think we
would want to split this up on a per release basis as it allows folks
who are upgrading from a few versions behind one location to look to
see all of the resolves issues since their version.

managing that consolidated file is a pain though as it seems silly to
pass it around as a resource inside of an assembly to broker it around
the build and the top of the build is the best place to keep the
file...

anyway, doesn't strictly apply but I agree with jason on the value of
a consolidated release notes file

cheers,
jesse