maven-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Eclipse plugin version 2.7
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 23:48:11 GMT
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Brian Fox <brianf@infinity.nu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Benjamin Bentmann <
> benjamin.bentmann@udo.edu> wrote:
>
>> Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
>>
>>  I think there's no value to block all releases, waiting for this fix.I
>>> agree, support this change, but it won't help our users to have them
>>> waiting
>>> all our releases for several weeks.
>>>

>> I don't really understand why fixing a project to produce a proper source
>> bundle (e.g. by means of copying one of the existing assembly descriptors)
>> would take several weeks...
>>

> It should take a few minutes and can be done with the current assembly
> release. The changes i made to the plugin are to make it possible to set
> this up at a top level pom (maven or asf) and have it do the right thing for
> each build.

The problem is that neither myself or Arnaud have a lot of capacity to
cut another release.

If I can get an explicit and complete set of instructions to build
whatever is required then I can do it.
If I have to spend any time thinking about it or start the release
process again then it will have to wait until I have spare time.

My preference is to:
* update the pom on trunk to include whatever will build the source
distro (this is different than the "-sources.jar") [Note: I dont
really want to change my pom I want the parent pom release profile to
do it for me instead]
* run the command to generate the distro archive from the tag
* deploy the distro

Suggestions?