maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu>
Subject Re: User's project-specific properties ability disabled after MNG-4060
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:22:33 GMT
Why not just put those values into the settings.xml?

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Robert Scholte<rfscholte@codehaus.org> wrote:

> I heard some time ago that the profiles.xml were removed in Maven3. Although I'm still
using 2.1.0 I want to be prepared for such changes.

> IMHO I think it's a bad choice to remove this option.
>

> Maven should provide some sort of way where developers can set/change project properties
without having to change the pom.xml.

> I believe the pom should not contain developer-specific properties and which can or will
end up in any scm. Think of datasource-properties.

> There are three degrees of properties:
>
> - the global properties (combined with the activeByDefault-profile)
>
> - profile-properties (where profiles cover multiple users. By OS, 'stage')
>
> - personal properties.
>

> These personal properties can only be used with a personal profile. A personal profile
is the best example of data which doesn´t belong in a pom but in a separate file (and probably
not in scm).

> Personal properties should be somewhere close to the project, like in the root of the
project (yes, like the profiles.xml).

> The both settings.xml is too far from the project and there's no option in the (user's)
settings.xml to set project-specific properties.

> I think that if there was a vote concerning this issue it might result in a long discussion.
It's never too late for that, so let's give it a try.