maven-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Progress on support for large projects
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 14:02:19 GMT

On May 13, 2009, at 12:53 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I'm even more mystified and understand how you want to use scm even
> less.  One of the basic principles I have for scm is that stuff
> shouldn't be duplicated, in the sense that if some artifact is
> released at version 1.2.3.4 say, the scm location for that release
> can be found in only one, unique, place in the scm tree, such as an
> svn tag.
>
> Now if I understand what you are proposing, its to have
> +root(1.2-SNAPSHOT)
>  +A(1.1-SNAPSHOT)
>  +B(1.3-SNAPSHOT)
>
> Only B has changed since the last release, which was of root (1.1),
> A(1.1) and B(1.2); these are the version in the release tag.

If B is the only thing that has changed then you would have:
+root(1.2-SNAPSHOT)
   +A(1.0)
   +B(1.3-SNAPSHOT)

In this case two artifacts would be deployed during the release:
1. The library bom pom (which, in this case, is the pom in root) for
version 1.2.
2. The artifact for B 1.3

A 1.0 is part of the tag, is built and tested during the build, but is
not redeployed to the repository. After the release the scm will
contain:
+root(1.2)
   +A(1.0)
   +B(1.3)