maven-dev mailing list archives

From nicolas de loof <nicolas.del...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DefaultMavenProjectBuilder possible bug ?
Date Sun, 10 May 2009 19:48:26 GMT
I just was not aware John was creating a RC when I committed into core. My
current issue with core is that from a plugin developer point of view it is
really hard to use as too many untyped List are used, and there is no
Javadoc to explain what is expected. buildFromRepository() is typically one
of those API method that is difficult to use but required when a plugin has
to use Artifact.
My goal is not to apply generics just for the beauty of using generics, but
to have a strong-typed API on MavenProject and other common classes.

2009/5/10 Jason van Zyl <jvanzyl@sonatype.com>

> On 10-May-09, at 8:05 AM, nicolas de loof wrote:
>
>  I've started my second attempt to generify the API, using call hierarchy
>> check how collections are used in code.
>>

> Nicolas this is not the way to learn the code and help.
>
> Pick a particular problem and learn a part of the code base. Littering
> changes all over the place to code you don't know is not a good idea.
> Changing everything to generics is not the most pressing need and you seem
> to be causing more problems then necessary. It's fine that you want to help
> but try and focus your efforts until you understand more of the code base.
> You don't need to put generics everywhere to understand a particular set of
> code. Also, changing code while John is trying to release the code is also
> not very helpful.
>
> You don't need to trample over everything to exercise your commit privs on
> the core. I would suggest you ask John about what specific needs have to be
> addressed for the next release and pick on of the problems to work on
> instead of the approach you're taking. Then a specific issues will be fixed
> and you do that a bunch of times and you'll gain far more understanding of
> how the system works.
>

>  I still don't know how to handle this buildFromRepository method :
>> Considering the current remote-resource-plugin releases will wail with a
>> ClassCastException I'd like to remove the unused normalize method and
>> define
>> a strong typed API - the SNAPSHOT code of remote-resource plugin is ready
>> for this.
>> On the other side maybe it's preferable for buildFromRepository method to
>> support this normalize process, to match the trunk.
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> 2009/5/4 John Casey <jdcasey@commonjava.org>
>>
>>  We should fix it in 2.2.x. Unless there is an actual bug, we shouldn't
>>> make
>>> ANY code changes in the RC branch.
>>>

>>> nicolas de loof wrote:
>>>
>>>  Not sure to understand you well. Do you mean release 2.2.0 as is, remove

2008) |