maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r769417 - in /maven/components/branches/maven-2.1.x: ./ maven-artifact-manager/ maven-artifact-manager/src/test/java/org/apache/maven/artifact/manager/ maven-core/ maven-core/src/main/resources/META-INF/plexus/
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 23:31:05 GMT

On 29/04/2009, at 9:25 AM, Brian Fox wrote:

> Besides inertial friction to a change, is there a specific reason
> not to consolidate on a single http provider? We already know that
> people may use the dav wagon simply to handle larger artifacts and
> such, it seems like reducing our surface area here would help
>
> I wouldn't be opposed to allowing some selection mechanism, but
> telling tons of users to switch from the familiar http:// url is
> just going to confuse them.

That's not what I was suggesting. I'm saying switch to httpclient-
based wagon, make sure lightweight works through an extension and a
different protocol in the odd event the other doesn't work for them.
I'd be concerned if we amassed the 10-15 users required to reach a ton
using that option.

I'm having serious deja vu, since we went through all this in the
Maven 1.0 days already :)

Cheers,
Brett