maven-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r767207 - /maven/components/branches/maven-2.1.x/pom.xml
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:27:28 GMT
I'm fine with rolling back the generic conversion stuff that I committed
for maven-artifact-* and maven-project-* yesterday (even though I was
very careful to check out the ways collections were populated, etc. to
avoid casting problems), but I did have to write new code for MNG-4140.
Since we've already decided that 2.1.0 would be moving to Java 1.5 I
can't see the use in hanging onto the 1.4 requirement, particularly when
it will throw a large monkeywrench in the fix for MNG-4140. I mean, I'm
already running into notices that 1.4 features are unsupported. I'm
using JAXP in this new code to avoid dragging in JDOM and all of its
dependencies (or similar), and there are big changes from 1.4 to 1.5 in
that code.

So, if it's a big concern let's branch for the generic conversion stuff
I did (and to continue that work), but let's not force 1.4 on this
release. It's unnecessary IMO. For the few users still actually using
1.4 on a daily basis, it shouldn't be a big stretch for them to add a
new JDK so they can use the new Maven release. We've already decided on
this course of action, and we have to let them know sometime.

-john