maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: AbstractMojo.getLog vs LogEnabled.enableLogging (found in maven-eclipse-plugin)
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:23:49 GMT
On 27-Mar-09, at 2:10 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Jason van Zyl
> <jvanzyl@sonatype.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 26-Mar-09, at 5:29 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:
>>
>>> EclipsePlugin extends AbstractIdeSupportMojo
>>> AbstractIdeSupportMojo extends AbstractMojo implements LogEnabled
>>> AbstractMojo has getLog()
>>> LogEnabled has enableLogging()
>>>
>>> Which logger should be used?
>>>
>>> getLog() from AbstractMojo
>>> or
>>
>> Use the getLog() as that's the plugin api. Enable logging is Plexus
>> specific
>> so you should avoid that if you can.
>
> Are you able to elaborate on why Plexus needs it?
> I'm contemplating removing it to see what happens.

If you want to log in Plexus there is no static logging. You either
extend AbstractLogEnabled to have logging capabilities or you inject a
Logger.

Mojo has it's own logging implementation to decouple it from Plexus
even though the default implementation wraps a Plexus logger.

Therefore in a Mojo implementation don't use something Plexus specific.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven