maven-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Edward Gruber <christianedwardgru...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scope for compile only?
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:54:07 GMT
I would use "provided" which implies that the target runtime will
provide this if needed.  It's not needed, but the semantic should
work.  "Provided" scoped dependencies are not transitively added to
packaging lifecycles like war and ear.

Also, this is probably a maven-users question, not a maven-developers
list question.

Christian.

On 19-Mar-09, at 22:25 , Paul Benedict wrote:

> Is there a way to bring in a library only for compiling without making
> it part of the runtime (i.e., war dependency) or using transitive
> exclusions? Java 5 has source-level annotations and sometimes a
> dependency is only for compiling and has no runtime dependency. Is a
> new scope needed for this?
>
> Paul

Christian Edward Gruber
e-mail: christianedwardgruber@gmail.com