maven-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Virtual versions
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:37:33 GMT
Timothy Reilly wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> I just worked with a company converting 130+ projects from Ant to Maven. LATEST and RELEASE
were invaluable.

> I do think there needs to be more thought around when they're allowed. No artifact's
"release" pom should contain SNAPSHOT, LATEST or RELEASE anywhere. The later 2 should be extrapolated
during the release build. But otherwise they're really important to me during development.
Why wouldn't I want to point to parent pom version = RELEASE in my development poms? Or use
the LATEST plugin until it breaks something in a non backward compatible way? Re-creating
past releases and dependency trees it's a different story though.

> It's a lot to ask a build and deploy team to update 130+ projects whenever they release
a new enterprise pom. What they'll do in practice is just change it and force it over the
current version or worse avoid making changes that really should be done b/c it's too much
hassle.

I don't know how practical this is, but what would make the most sense to me
would be to allow LATEST and RELEASE locally but not in the repository.  Having
these locally allows developers to easily keep versions/testing up to date, but
then these should resolve to the specific versions used sometime before the
actual deployment.

I'm planning to implement something related to this for SNAPSHOT versions and
eventually would like to do the same thing for version ranges (MVERSIONS-21,
MVERSIONS-24).