maven-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Maven 2.1.0 and Doxia
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:11:29 GMT
Hi,

I know we've talked a bit about this already, but I'm still left with
some questions. The most important of which is:

What exactly is the plan for Doxia and Maven 2.1.0? Who's doing what to
push this along?

I'm looking at the recent history of our attempt to get a Maven 2.1.0
release ready to go, and I see that we've been talking about including a
new release of Doxia for quite some time now....but where is the
release? It looks like Doxia is still under development for 1.1, so I
guess I'm just wondering:

1. What compelling reason do we have to upgrade Doxia in Maven 2.1.0? I
understand that there's a largish assortment of plugins that cannot
upgrade until Maven does...but what is in Doxia 1.1 that we can't live
without until the next release of Maven (by which time - HOPEFULLY -
Doxia would have been released and in the wild for some time)?

2. Is there a good reason why we can't publish a minimal set of
interfaces and exceptions that are shared between Maven and Doxia, such
that we could peg Maven to a version of that API and Doxia could
maintain compatibility with that API, and specific versions of Doxia
used in Maven could be a little more fluid?

For example, if the Site plugin were to instantiate the Doxia bits and
pass them through the Maven core to the report plugins...can we make it
so Maven core doesn't have much to do with it, and the site
plugin/report plugins can be the ones to respond to new Doxia releases??
If we could agree on a minimal API artifact and just get that released
ASAP, it seems like we could upgrade to Doxia 1.1 after the core 2.1.0
release either through plugin-level deps or a new release of the site
plugin.

I'm probably naive, but why aren't we moving in this direction?

I'm venting because I'm a little frustrated that this conversation came
up back in August and here we are talking about it again...and again, we
have no released version of Doxia to consume. So, we're in a position of
rushing out a release of Doxia so we can push an unproven dependency
into Maven just in time for a release. Doesn't this seem like a terrible
idea to anyone else? Doxia isn't a small system like plexus-utils or
plexus-ant-factory; judging from the length of its recent release
cycles, it's much more complicated.

If we really are stuck with this sort of lock-step release cycle, isn't
there something we can do right now, before releasing maven, doxia, or
what-have-you, that would improve (solve?) the situation for next time?

Sorry for the gruffness, but it doesn't seem like we're taking steps to
fix the underlying situation between Maven and Doxia...

-john