maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Bentmann <benjamin.bentm...@udo.edu>
Subject MNG-4056, please comment
Date Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:10:40 GMT
Hi,

I recently created a patch for MNG-4056 and would appreciate some
comments whether that's the proper way to address the issue.

In short, this issue is about the subtle difference between

   <dependency>
     <groupId>gid</groupId>
     <artifactId>aid</artifactId>
     <version>0.1</version>
     <classifier>tests</classifier>
   </dependency>

and

   <dependency>
     <groupId>gid</groupId>
     <artifactId>aid</artifactId>
     <version>0.1</version>
     <type>test-jar</type>
   </dependency>

both declarations work during builds of the consumer project that run up
to the "install" phase, only the latter declaration will allow proper
dependency resolution from the reactor during an earlier lifecycle phase
like "package" (see also comments in MNG-2045 [0]).

The cause for this difference is that resolution from the reactor
matches artifacts by their dependency conflict id which has the form
gid:aid:type:classifier. For the first dependency declaration above, the
type is "jar" which doesn't match the type "test-jar" as used for the
attached test JAR.

In case matching by dependency conflict id fails, the proposed patch
falls back to another id I called repository conflict id (well, it
needed to have a name...). The important difference is that the
repository conflict id has the form gid:aid:extension:classifier, i.e.
uses the file extension instead of the type.

The rationale for this approach is the observation that the repository
layout does not use the artifact type but the file extension to
distinguish files. In other words, the ids
   gid:aid:test-jar:tests:0.1
and
   gid:aid:jar:tests:0.1
get mapped to the same physical file in the repository, namely
   gid/aid/0.1/aid-0.1/aid-0.1-tests.jar
i.e. there's an aliasing effect in the repository which the patch mimics
for dependency resolution from the reactor.

It solves the problem from a user's perspective but I'm not sure whether
this kind of artifact identity is clean from a design perspective. WDYT?

Benjamin

[0]
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2045?focusedCommentId=152064&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_152064