maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: @component or @plexus.requirement?
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:34:01 GMT
One annotation is for Plexus components specifically and that is
@plexus.requirement or @Requirement if you're doing annotations.

The other is specifically for Maven plugins. The component metadata
for your own types, like our Maven plugins, have their own component
descriptors which are mutated on the fly inside Plexus.

But for a Maven plugin that also contains other Plexus components you
need to use @plexus.requirement/@Requirement with your Plexus
components and @component in your Mojo-based classes. Maven plugins
may often not contain any Plexus components so the use of the type of
annotations is completely partitioned. Take a look at Maven trunk if
you want to see examples of the annotations used for Plexus components.

On 19-Mar-09, at 7:05 AM, Ringo De Smet wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a bit confused on the use of the @component and
> @plexus.requirement Javadoc annotations.
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Deterministic+Lifecycle
> +Planning
>
> The above document contains the following: "injected either as a
> @plexus.requirement or @component annotation, depending on whether
> you're writing a Plexus component or an implementation of the Mojo
> interface"
>
> Within a complete Maven plugin implementation, where is the boundary
> for the set of classes where I have to use @component annotation? Is
> it only in the real plugin class (extending AbstractMojo) where I have
> to use @component? Use @plexus.requirement for the rest?
>
> Please enlighten me!
>
> Ringo

Thanks,