maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: Virtual versions
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:13:36 GMT
Timothy Reilly wrote:

> Hi Oleg,
>
> I just worked with a company converting 130+ projects from Ant to Maven.
> LATEST and RELEASE were invaluable.
>
> I do think there needs to be more thought around when they're allowed. No
> artifact's "release" pom should contain SNAPSHOT, LATEST or RELEASE
> anywhere. The later 2 should be extrapolated during the release build. But
> otherwise they're really important to me during development. Why wouldn't
> I want to point to parent pom version = RELEASE in my development poms? Or
> use the LATEST plugin until it breaks something in a non backward
> compatible way? Re-creating past releases and dependency trees it's a
> different story though.
>
> It's a lot to ask a build and deploy team to update 130+ projects whenever
> they release a new enterprise pom. What they'll do in practice is just
> change it and force it over the current version or worse avoid making
> changes that really should be done b/c it's too much hassle.

Therefore we always set the enterprise POM to SNAPSHOT (which manages not only
3rd party deps in the depMgmt, but also the versions of our own artifacts).
If somebody changes a project, he will have to set the project's parent also
to SNAPSHOT (= inherit the latest enterprise POM) and set the version of the
project's artifact in the enterprise POM to <version>-SNAPSHOT. This means,
if somebody (i.e. another artifact) depends on the changes, the parent of
this artifact must be set simply to SNAPSHOT (and its version in the
enterprise POM also). That way you get also a good idea about what you have
to release. The only caveat is, that everyone must update, build and install
the enterprise POM regularily on his own. But that's fine for us.

- Jörg