maven-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Maven 2.1.0 Plans (a proposal of sorts)
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 16:36:17 GMT
Hi everyone,

I wanted to step back from the current Maven 2.1.0-M* release plan for a
second and reassess our progress on the issues we were planning as the
centerpiece for each release.

I've been trying to match up the milestone issues found on
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+2.1.0+Release+Plan with the
actual progress in JIRA, and what I'm finding is quite interesting.

First and foremost, if you ignore the milestone headings and take a look
at the overall progress on issues listed on that page, we've actually
knocked out most of the major issues (that don't still have significant
design work left to be done). If you look at the remaining issues, they
are in a couple of different states:

1. Implemented but not adequately tested, or else in need of a soak
period (parallel downloads, doxia).

2. Implemented in a first pass, but without a clear consensus that the
design is complete (PGP and Auto-Parent versioning, though I can't find
this one at the moment). In the case of Auto-Parent versioning, I
thought I remembered that this one had some additional issues with
current use cases, but I may not be up to date on that conversation.

In light of the above, along with the good stability we've seen in the
first milestone release, I'd *much* prefer pushing toward a release of
2.1.0-final. We've seen several cases where people are prevented from
using the 2.1.0-M1 release simply because of the "M1" at the end of the
version...which ignores its reliability completely.

If we can take care of a few tasks like fixing/downgrading/whatever the
wagon version, and cleaning up some of the low-hanging fruit currently
in the 2.1.0-M3 bucket like improving logging...then I think we're clear
to release 2.1.0 final.

At that point, we can make plans for a relatively fast release of 2.1.1
for the higher-risk issues that are sitting in the 2.1.0-M* buckets
now...possibly parallel artifact downloads if we can ever get test
coverage for that.

Looking over the release plan and the progress on JIRA, I guess I'd
really prefer to go in this direction, unless anyone has serious
objections...

Thoughts?

-john

---
John Casey
Developer and PMC Member, Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Member, Apache Software Foundation
Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp

"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing."
        -Aristotle