maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Barrie Treloar" <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: overriding <executions> via a profile
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 04:34:48 GMT
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Nick Pellow <npellow@atlassian.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If a plugin is defined in the normal build section of a pom and has defined
> a specific execution, is it possible to override this execution by defining
> the same plugin in a profile?
>
> The plugin I am working on, uses a forked build lifecycle, so when I try to
> do this, I see the executions defined outside the profile being run, as well
> as those defined in the profile. Ideally, I'd like the executions defined
> for the plugin outside the profile completely ignored when the profile is
> activated.

An alternative is to not use a forked lifecycle.
A lot of plugins have an "attached" or "only" equivalent that do not
run in the reactor to avoid these problems. There is an outstanding
JIRA somewhere to fix this lifecycle issue in 3.x.

You could also have both of these definitions in profiles and switch
between them as needed (maybe via a boolean flag so that one of the
profiles is in use)

However you cant *deactivate* a profile.
So this would be something the user had to remember to type every time.

For the forum link you posted, I would recommend not adding clover to
the default build list, but pull this out into its own plugin. This is
something your CI environment would want to run but the average
developer doesnt really care.  When the developer does want to run it
they can activate the profile.