maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Bentmann <benjamin.bentm...@udo.edu>
Subject Re: Default plugin execution id
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2008 10:23:59 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:

> How about #groupId:artifactId:sequenceNumber.

What would be the sequenceNumber part? This kind of execution config is
surely an edge case but I would prefer the execution id to not be too
complex/cryptic (someday I might want to type it into the POM...).

> It would be unique to the POM.

AFAIK, execution ids were meant to assist in merging inherited
configuration. As this happens on a per plugin basis, we don't have need
for ids which are unique to the entire POM, do we?

Besides, I start wondering how this relates to MNG-3203. Assuming for a
moment
a) there is one execution per plugin goal and
b) the implicit execution ids where equal to the executed plugin goal
it seems something like

   <plugin>
     <executions>
       <execution>
         <id>compile</id>
         <configuration>
           <!-- parameters for main compilation here -->
         </configuration>
       </execution>
       <execution>
         <id>testCompile</id>
         <configuration>
           <!-- parameters for test compilation here -->
         </configuration>
       </execution>
     </executions>
   </plugin>

would naturally extend Paul's original use case.

Benjamin