maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Bentmann <benjamin.bentm...@udo.edu>
Subject Re: Default plugin execution id
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:53:43 GMT
Christian Schulte wrote:

> <xs:element name="id" minOccurs="0" type="xs:string" default="default">
>                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   <xs:annotation>
>     <xs:documentation source="version">4.0.0</xs:documentation>
>     <xs:documentation source="description">
>       The identifier of this execution for labelling the goals during
>       the build, and for matching executions to merge during
>       inheritance.</xs:documentation>
>   </xs:annotation>
> </xs:element>
>
> If I got it right, one cannot use anything other than what is specified
> in the XML schema as the default for the execution id. At least not
> without changing the schema (e.g. removing that default="default" so
> that an application can test for the existence of an execution id).

The schema is not really of relevance here. It merely defines an id for
executions defined explicitly by the user in the POM. In constrast, the
id we are talking about here is the id that is assigned to executions
which are implicitly defined by lifecycle mappings for a particular
packaging type.

However, given that POM snippets without execution id like

   <execution>
     <phase>foo</phase>
     <goals>
       <goal>run</goal>
     </goals>
   </execution>

might not be uncommon, i.e. where one doesn't care about the execution
id and simply relies on the schema-provided default value, it seems
advisable to not use "default" as the id to avoid accidental clashes of
executions that were originally distinct.

Benjamin