maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hobson" <markhob...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mercury Version Ranges
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:19:18 GMT
2008/8/13 Michael McCallum <gholam@apache.org>:
> I wish you would stop pointing that out ;-).

Hehe, forgive me if I'm repeating myself, I'm sure you're more than
aware that this discussion has been going on for quite some time in
many shapes and forms :)

> I only use snapshots in local and
> never deploy them... if someone wants trunk then they should build it
> themselves... if they want to try out the latest development then take the
> next major version of the project which most like is alpha/beta...
>
> Every approach that i have taken is engineered towards allowing rapid stable,
> reproducible change to the deliverables without too much overhead to the
> developers...
>
> I don't use deployed snapshots for the simple reasons that its too hard to
> back track... i want to very easily find out whats changed and whether
> rolling back or forward is the cheapest option... without tags aka releases
> there is just no easy way to do it...

I guess we just use different practices.  I use the common scenario of
CI building snapshots for others to digest, since we have so many
components this is a huge benefit.  Hopefully Mercury will be able to
satisfy both of our use cases.

Mark