maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Benedict" <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject RC release proposal -> Point releases + Beta quality
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2008 01:59:56 GMT
I would like to mention that Niall Pemberton, owner of Common
Beanutils, had a very good experience doing the latest builds using
RC. Each time he published an RC, he waited about 4-6 weeks to collect
feedback, patched those bugs, and released the next RC.

Are shotgun release candidates too hurtful with the growing number of
iterations? Do we need a new RC per 2-3 issues, or should they be
"released" as "beta" and then revoted on for GA quality a couple weeks
-- or even one week -- later based on community feedback.

I am thinking that if Maven moved to voting their RC builds as true
releases (yes, publishing to central repo), the iterative development
would be accepted better, and the public would be more involved. I
recommend turning each RC into a point release.

Paul