maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject How to add GMaven archetype muck to the default catalog, or use custom?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 03:36:19 GMT
Hiya, I'm getting lots of user reports of problems using the GMaven
archetypes... could be my fault for not really understanding how the
new stuff works fully.  But seems like folks that don't already have
the artifacts in their local repo (most users) can't use them.  I
_thought_ that this would simply work for them:

<snip>
mvn archetype:generate -
DarchetypeGroupId=org.codehaus.groovy.maven.archetypes -
DarchetypeArtifactId=gmaven-archetype-basic -Dversion=1.0-rc-3
</snip>

I also tried setting {{-DarchetypeCatalog=remote}}, but that fails with:

<snip>
INFO] [archetype:generate]
[INFO] Generating project in Interactive mode
[WARNING] Error reading archetype catalog http://repo1.maven.org/maven2
org.apache.maven.wagon.ResourceDoesNotExistException: Unable to locate
resource in repository
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.wagon
.providers
.http.LightweightHttpWagon.fillInputData(LightweightHttpWagon.java:100)
	at org.apache.maven.wagon.StreamWagon.get(StreamWagon.java:68)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.archetype
.source
.RemoteCatalogArchetypeDataSource
.getArchetypeCatalog(RemoteCatalogArchetypeDataSource.java:74)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.archetype.DefaultArchetype.getRemoteCatalog(DefaultArchetype.java:203)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.archetype.DefaultArchetype.getRemoteCatalog(DefaultArchetype.java:192)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.archetype
.ui
.DefaultArchetypeSelector
.getArchetypesByCatalog(DefaultArchetypeSelector.java:244)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.archetype
.ui
.DefaultArchetypeSelector
.selectArchetype(DefaultArchetypeSelector.java:74)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.archetype
.mojos
.CreateProjectFromArchetypeMojo
.execute(CreateProjectFromArchetypeMojo.java:180)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:451)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.lifecycle
.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
558)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.lifecycle
.DefaultLifecycleExecutor
.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:512)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.lifecycle
.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:482)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.lifecycle
.DefaultLifecycleExecutor
.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:330)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.lifecycle
.DefaultLifecycleExecutor
.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:227)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.lifecycle
.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:142)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:336)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:129)
	at
sun
.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:
39)
	at
sun
.reflect
.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:
25)
	at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:
430)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/archetype-catalog.xml
	at
sun
.net
.www
.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:
1168)
	at
org
.apache
.maven
.wagon
.providers
.http.LightweightHttpWagon.fillInputData(LightweightHttpWagon.java:83)
	... 25 more
[WARNING] Specified archetype not found.
[INFO] No archetype defined. Using maven-archetype-quickstart
(org.apache.maven.archetypes:maven-archetype-quickstart:1.0)
</snip>

  * * *

So, my question is how can a user use the new archetype plugin with an
archetype that is not in the "internal" catalog?

I have played a little with the "local" catalog, which seems to allow
the GMaven archetypes to resolve, though it ignores the version (if I
ask for a release, but I have previously built a snapshot, I get the
snapshot version).

Anyways, I could use some advise on what is the proper/supported way
to use custom archetypes.  I have 2 of them right now:

     http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/codehaus/groovy/maven/archetypes/gmaven-archetype-basic/
     http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/codehaus/groovy/maven/archetypes/gmaven-archetype-mojo/

Thanks,

--jason