maven-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Maven 2.1.0 GA Plan
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:11:29 GMT
I am OK with this.

You may or may not have noticed but I created branch maven-2.1.x-MNG-624
last night. It contains the fix for MNG-624. I have created integration
tests but haven't committed them yet. I will soon.  Before committing
these to the 2.1.x branch I'd really like folks to try it out.

This change will have a minor impact on existing projects. If you don't
specify the artifact's groupId or versionId (i.e. it is inherited from
the parent) then a new pom.xml should get created in the target
directory that has those fields filled in. That file will be the one
that is installed or deployed.

I'm only trying to resolve the parent version. I could try to resolve
the parent groupId and artifactId and some of the problem reports
mention those but I just couldn't think of a reason why they shouldn't
be specified or why someone would want them in a variable.

The version is obtained by
1. Resolving any variables provided via system properties (variables
from parents won't be found since the parent isn't known.
2. Looking in the file cache for the resolved parent project using the
relative location as the key.
3. Looking for the parent at the relative path on disk.
a. The target directory at the relative path is inspected for a modified
pom.
b. The project at the relative path is used.
If at the end of this a resolved parent version is not located throw an
Exception. Do not try to recurse to further parents.

You'll notice the comment about looking for the modified pom in the
target directory. As part of this fix the parent version, and the
project's artifactId, groupId and version are all interpolated. If any
of those fields were missing or had variables in them in the original
pom then the pom is modified and written to the target directory. Thus,
any pom that is installed or deployed will always have these fields
resolved.

In looking through the plugins it looked to me that the Eclipse and
Invoker plugins are trying to locate the base directory by calling
project.getFile().getParentFile(). These will need to be changed to
project.getBasedir() since the location of the pom might now be in a
different place and project.getFile().getParentFile() might return the
target directory instead of the base directory.

As we agreed Maven 2.1 will require Java 5. The pom has been changed to
reflect that and quite a bit of the new code uses it.

Please test and provide feedback.

Ralph