maven-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Gusakov <oleg.subscripti...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: version LATEST merge with RELEASE
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:26:27 GMT

Michael McCallum wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:47:04 Oleg Gusakov wrote:
>
> I'm confused... you are distriguishing between local and remote repositories
> when you've just abstracted the concept into a virtual reader... why?

This is more implementation details, for user it's hidden by virtual
reader. This reader, actually, hides all the repositories from the user
- it implements (WIP) repository lookup policies and returns back th
results. I tried to go deeper in this posting and describe what the code
is doing.
> Why would you scan directories rather than read the metadata is that to
> support other tools that just dump jars?

Exactly - I saw a lot of people just dumping a jar - without pom or any
metadata into local repository and expecting it to be found.

I think it's reasonable expectation, so I scan instead of using
metadata. For remote repo's I don't have that option, so those better be
consistent :)

Plus metadata is kinda inconsistent - see
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-5