maven-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Mercury Version Ranges
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 05:22:10 GMT

Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>>

>> Oleg Gusakov wrote:
>>>

>>> What do you think about snapshots in ranges? Or - better -
>>> prohibiting snapshot in ranges.
>>>

>> I don't know. In a dev environment you might want the "latest",
>> whatever that is.
> For me there is a code quality boundary between release and snapshot,
> and I'd rather ask user to specify which one should be used.
>
> For instance: how should I treat the following:
>
> a->b
> a->c
> b->d-5-snapshot
> c->d-4
>
> What should be selected in this case : d-4 or d-5-snapshot (suppose -
> nothing else in repo's)? Currently - d-5-snapshot will be selected,
> but should this behavior be configurable?

If I am using Nexus I'd have a separate snapshot repository. For a dev
build snapshots might be included while for a production build they
would not. This might be exactly the desired behavior. Controlling it
through repository management makes more sense to me than trying to have
a versioning scheme that tries to solve the worlds problems.

But see my other reply. d-5-snapshot should be excluded if it doesn't
declare that it provides what a,b & c need.

The other option, which you didn't even mention, is that the build
should fail. If what b requires is what d-5 provides but d-5 isn't
compatible with d-4 then this build should fail.

Ralph