maven-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Versioning Maven
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:26:17 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:

>> The other issues identify a problem that is a little harder to fix
>> only because I haven't figured out how it could be done without being
>> incompatible, even if what is currently happening - deploying poms
>> with a variable in the version element - is just wrong.
>
> Not necessarily. A property referring to a profile activated on a
> particular platform where it was expected to be evaluated during the
> build would cause a problem. I don't think it's as straight forward as
> interpolating prior to deployment. This is part of the overall process
> we need a spec for. This is not a very concrete answer but there are
> probably a range of things that can safely be interpolated and
> probably make sense, any properties associated with profiles activate
> by OS, JDK, or some other ad-hoc property referring to an environment
> will probably cause problems. Should people do this, probably not. But
> we never told them not to. Then how to you categorize what's allowed
> and what's not. No idea.
>
> I think Brian wanted to cut from 2.0.9 instead of 2.0.10 but you guys
> should go for it. We just need to make sure the integration tests
> actually mean something so when I try to match capabilities with a
> potentially different implementation/solution it don't whack everyone.

This is somewhat off topic from versioning. I was specifically calling
out using a property for the artifact version. To leave that in the pom
when it is deployed is just wrong. I can think of all kinds of other
properties that shouldn't be replaced, so full interpolation is clearly
unacceptable.

I'm also a little unclear on the integration tests. I see a couple of
branches that appear to be for specific jira issues, but nothing else.
How are different tests run against maven trunk vs 2.0.x?

Ralph