maven-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Gusakov <oleg.subscripti...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Artifact Resolution
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:09:11 GMT
This document discusses POM processing in great detail, while in Mercury
we abstracted it into external interface MetadataProcessor. You give it
GAV to the POM, MetadataReader and it returns back a list of dependency
GAVs interpolated for the given environment. Not transitive - just
direct dependencies.

List<ArtifactBasicMetadata> getDependencies( ArtifactBasicMetadata bmd,
MetadataReader mdReader, Hashtable env )
    throws MetadataProcessingException;

MetadataReader is implemented by Mercury as all it does is: given GAV -
returns back POM bytes, so that MetadataProcessor have something to
interpret.

  public byte [] readMetadata( ArtifactBasicMetadata bmd )
  throws MetadataProcessingException;

Then Mercury concentrates on building the dependency tree for transitive
dependencies and resolving conflicts for a particular scope.

So majority of the document applies to MetadataProcessor abstraction,
and ProjectBuilder is the perfect candidate :)

I will write up the overall process and integrate that piece.

Thanks,
Oleg