maven-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Digulla <digu...@hepe.com>
Subject Re: POM rewriting with DecentXML
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 07:28:47 GMT
Quoting Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org>:

> But I think looking at StAX and possibly trying to patch that to be
> smarter about formatting, if necessary, might be a better route for us.

StAX can't preserve whitespace between attributes, between "<" and the
element name, whitespace after the last attribute and the ">", between
"</" and the end element name. Same goes for all pull parsers.

Not sure about CDATA but I guess StAX can't preserve that, either.
Lastly, StAX is about *reading* XML. DecentXML is about *writing* XML
*preserving* the original format 100%, no compromises.

As for patching it: StAX is a standard API (JSR-173). How big are my
chances that the standard API is going to be extended to allow the
features I need? I mean, there was *no* XML parser which can do 100%
round-tripping before DecentXML. It's just a non-issue for the XML guys.

Just looking at an XML gives you a visual clue: these guys couldn't
care less how it *looks* as long as their tools can read it.

As I said: My parser is probably not so useful as a general purpose
replacement for POM *reading* in general. It ought to be used in the
Maven artifact plugin and any other code which *writes* POM files.

Regards,

http://www.pdark.de/