maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject [toolchain] some questions
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 12:40:05 GMT
Hi,

In reviewing the toolchain I had some thoughts about the
implementation and some questions to ask.

Firstly - the toolchains.xml file being separate is handy for working
with current versions of Maven. However, I wonder if this should be
deprecated in future versions and inserted directly into settings.xml?
This will also facilitate the same logic for locating settings in the
installation vs. the home directory, the command line overrides and
all that sort of thing.

If this is being incorporated into the current Maven release, do we
need to add some user-level documentation to the site?

I wonder if the toolchains plugin should just be merged into the
enforcer plugin?

One concern I have is about introducing the maven-core dependency into
so many plugins that will use this - would splitting the API from the
implementation be helpful here?

Thanks!

- Brett

--