maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Wagon changes and WebDAV
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:30:38 GMT

On 29-Feb-08, at 3:40 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 01/03/2008, at 9:02 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> Here's the direction I would like to go in:
>>
>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/URL-based+dynamic+loading+of+providers+for+artifact+retrieval+and+deployment
>>
>> Full support for all types of transport for retrieval and
>> deployment in a standard way that doesn't bloat out the core.
>
> Yes, I'm generally in favour of the proposal - it is how we've
> always wanted it to work.

I'm just chucking out ideas.

> Comments on the proposal:
> - I don't see anything that allows strictly versioning the
> providers. This may not be a concern as I don't know if that really
> impacts reproducibility of the build, but there does need to be a
> way to pin it down. How about an optional element in the deployment
> target (currently <repository> under distMgmt):
> <provider>
>  <groupId>org.apache.maven.wagon</groupId>
>  <artifactId>wagon-ssh-external</artifactId>
>  <version>1.0</version>
> </provider>
>
> - +1 to move selected configuration into the distMgmt. However,
> anything that might be overridden on a case-by-case basis (like
> altDeploymentRepository) should not be in there
> - I don't see any point of putting the deploy plugin version in
> there - the standard mechanism is fine.

It may not be the deploy plugin if it became a core version component,
but what do you mean by the standard mechanism? In <build/> and
<distributionManagement/> or do you mean the auto version selection?

> Cheers,
> Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

-- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition