maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [toolchain] some questions
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:57:13 GMT

On 04/03/2008, at 5:46 AM, Milos Kleint wrote:

> yes, adding it to settings.xml would be nice.
> Unfortunately as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), once you
> need toolchains for one project, you need to put it into settings.xml,
> thus you cannot build *any* project with old (up to 3.0.8 now) version
> of maven.  Maybe we could allow both locations, keep toolchains.xml
> but deprecate it and start using settings.xml (in what version 2.0.9?
> or 2.1? or later?)

Yep, that's what I was suggesting :) Doesn't need to happen
immediately, just deprecate it in whatever version of Maven gets
support in settings.xml.

>> I wonder if the toolchains plugin should just be merged into the
>> enforcer plugin?
>
> I imagine the jdkVersion rule in the maven-enforcer would be rendered
> obsolete by toolchains for sure. It shall not matter what jdk version
> the maven build itself is running on.
> I'm open to discussion for incorporating into enforcer plugin, however
> once the toolchains stuff goes in, the mavenPrerequisite of the
> enforcer plugin needs to be bumped to 3.0.9+. If that's fine, it's
> fine with me as well I suppose.

Probably better to keep it separate initially, though they might
converge over time as toolchain support become ubiquitous.

>> One concern I have is about introducing the maven-core dependency
>> into
>> so many plugins that will use this - would splitting the API from the
>> implementation be helpful here?
>
> MavenSession is required in plugins to query the toolchains, not sure
> how it can be injected in other way than it currently is. it would be
> nice to hide it as implementation dependency within toolchains, but
> I'm not aware how to achieve that.
> Please note that we also advice plugin developers to use
> MavenSession.getExecutionProperties() instead of
> System.getProperties() for embeddability, so that's another case that
> creates dependencies on maven-core.. Maybe the class shall be moved to
> other project?

I don't think it's critical for now. In 2.1 we probably want to expose
it through an expression though, and probably need to put some more of
the plugin-queryable APIs into the plugin-api.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org