maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Toolchains version 1.0
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2008 00:21:29 GMT

On 1-Mar-08, at 4:07 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 02/03/2008, at 11:00 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

>> On 1-Mar-08, at 3:22 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, now I'm confused... looking at commits it's being re-
>>> integrated into the trunk and branches (Which seems like a good
>>> thing to me).
>>>
>>> Is this release needed any more Milos? Should we just pull it out?
>>>

>> We should practice what we preach, in that no one else can retract
>> mistakes and it should stay and Milos release it again. I just told
>> someone on the repo-maintainers list they couldn't change or pull
>> mistakes.
>
> Change, no - but surely we have to be able to remove things (and
> never put them back again).

If there was a process sure. We know in this case no one has depended
on it (pretty certain), but if something is deployed and has sat there
for more then 24 hours who knows who's used it.

If we had a tool to retract it, updating all the necessary metadata
and recording the removal then that would be cool.

> - Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people
can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

-- Paul Graham