maven-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Toolchains version 1.0
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2008 00:06:32 GMT
On Saturday 01 March 2008, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On 1-Mar-08, at 3:22 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
> > Actually, now I'm confused... looking at commits it's being re-
> > integrated into the trunk and branches (Which seems like a good
> > thing to me).
> >
> > Is this release needed any more Milos? Should we just pull it out?
>
> We should practice what we preach, in that no one else can retract
> mistakes and it should stay and Milos release it again. I just told
> someone on the repo-maintainers list they couldn't change or pull
> mistakes.

I personally think we need to allow mistakes to be pulled.   However,
they cannot re-release the same version.  Basically, deletes, not
updates.   Not sure how to enforce that though.

For example, if a jar or something gets a nasty virus/trojan in it.   We
would need to get it out of there.

Dan

> > - Brett
> >
> > On 02/03/2008, at 10:17 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
> >> It's a bit tricky. I suggest we vote on what got synced out. If for
> >> any reason the release must be pulled it can be and the next one
> >> will need to be version 1.0.1 or something.
> >>
> >> I'l take a look today/tomorrow.
> >>
> >> - Brett

> >> --
> >> Brett Porter
> >> brett@apache.org
> >> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

> > --
> > Brett Porter
> > brett@apache.org
> > http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com
>
> People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
> Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
> actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
> is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
> looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
> examples
> you look at, the more general your framework will be.
>
> -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog