maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wagon changes and WebDAV
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:41:44 GMT
I've taken a look at the code and found two problems:

a) the wagon in core was reverted to beta-1, which is probably the
root of James' problems. beta-2 corrects the redirects and has been
stable for some time. I presume this was an accident as it came in
with Milos toolkits commit. Milos - was this intentional?

b) the extension manager isn't loading extensions if they are in the
core (though it should). I have found a fix for that - I am just
working on an integration test first. This allow you to specify the
version you want, removing the auto-upgrade issue Brian highlighted.

Cheers,
Brett

On 28/03/2008, at 11:11 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

>> The other problem with dropping it into the distribution is that when
>> we find out there is a bug in it you can't simply specify a new
>> version of the provider, you would have to go replace the provider
>> and
>
>> all its deps, or make your own shaded JAR which would be a pain in
>> the
>
>> ass.
>
> (see full thread here:
> http://www.nabble.com/Wagon-changes-and-WebDAV-td15743343s177.html)
>
> So the above captures exactly the problem we are seeing now. James has
> an issue with webdav that may require a fix. This is probably an
> existing issue and is not core so it shouldn't hold up the 2.0.9
> release. The issue is that even if he finds and fixes it, there's no
> way
> to upgrade the extension until we do 2.0.10. This seems like it
> could be
> a bigger issue than what we've tried to solve, which is make
> deploy:deploy-file slightly easier to use for one specific protocol.
>
> Reading back over the thread, there seemed to be general consensus
> that
> this isn't the direction we wanted to go with the trunk, but that
> 2.0.x
> wasn't as much of a concern. I think it should be still a concern
> given
> the potential to really lock people in. Furthermore this has a big
> potential to cause regressions because now we just forced everyone to
> upgrade their webdav even if they didn't want to...and there's nothing
> they can do about it. That's not cool and I vote we take this out
> before
> minting 2.0.9. (I'm leaving it in for RC4 to allow time for discussion
> and time for more testing of the RC)
>
> --Brian

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org