maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Benjamin Bentmann" <benjamin.bentm...@udo.edu>
Subject Re: For Plugin Developers: Usage of ${plugin.artifacts} expression
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 17:19:52 GMT
> I'd like to know how many people are using ${plugin.artifacts} in
> their plugins.

One here, basically for a use-case similar to MANTRUN-41 on some in-house
plugin.

> This would mean that all of a sudden things like maven-plugin-api and
> maven-project will start appearing in the result of $
> {plugin.artifacts}

Is there any spec around stating that Maven filters the plugin dependencies
in this expression, i.e. an API contract that binds you to the existing
behavior? If so, keeping the current behavior (at least for Maven 2.0.x)
might be reasonable.

Without a clear spec, developers might appreciate this change if they - like
me - previously guessed/expected ${plugin.artifacts} would contain the full
list and are tempted to call the current behavior say odd to prevent the
b-word ;-)

> By the same token, it
> will mean that you might want to watch out for maven-project and
> maven-plugin-api (or, we could even strike a middle ground and filter
> all org.apache.maven:* but I'm not sure that's a safe assumption to
> make either).

Unless you are going to provide a customizable way of filtering
${plugin.artifacts}, I would favor the full list from Maven (don't try to be
too smart) and have each plugin developer filter as needed since they know
best what to exclude (if any). Besides, filtering artifacts is less hassle
than adding them from scratch.

Benjamin