maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Srilakshmanan, Lakshman" <lakshman.srilakshma...@police.vic.gov.au>
Subject RE: Article on Maven Usage
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 04:01:50 GMT
I don't believe there is any one project in the company that has 100
developers, but it is early days and I could be proved wrong. But I
doubt it :).

Thanks
Lakshman
-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Goers [mailto:Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com]
Sent: Thursday, 1 November 2007 2:33 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Re: Article on Maven Usage

As Brett said this is kind of tough.  I work for a large company and if
I had to guess I'd say that the 100 maven users number is being met. But
that is on lots of projects across a fairly large company. Many of these
projects are dependent on each other but are only tied to each other
through the Maven repository and the web sites the projects publish.  In
a way, this isn't very different then saying each of your in-house
projects are treated much like the projects at Apache - they are just
other things you are dependent on. If you were to count the development
teams involved in those you are easily over 100 developers in those
projects alone.

Do you really have a single project with 100+ developers - or is it
really a bunch of subprojects with their own development teams?

Ralph

Srilakshmanan, Lakshman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I saw the following at http://maven.apache.org/articles.html
> " If you are writing an article on Maven we suggest contacting the
> developers on the mailing list as we would be happy to provide
> feedback to help ensure accuracy in your article. Just ping us on the
> dev mailing list <mail-lists.html>  to get in touch. "
>
> I am hoping you would be able to help me, but if this is not the
> correct forum please direct me to the appropriate one.
>
> I have been an avid Maven user since 2004. I have greatly enjoyed and
> appreciated it.
>
> I am preparing an article for my company and I have been asked to
> provide evidence of 'large, i.e. 100 person' projects using Maven.
> I personally don't agree with their request because, Maven promotes
> component based development and therefore you cannot have  100 people
> working on a single component. In my opinion the days of Large
> Monolithic projects are dead and gone.
>
> But, Unfortunately I am not **yet :) ** the decision maker, therefore
> I have to comply with their request.
>
> Would it be possible to provide a list of, even apache foundation,
> projects with size in LOC using maven. I would try and use the size of

> the project based on LOC rather that people.
>
> Any assistance in this regard is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Lakshman

> ==========================
> EMAIL DISCLAIMER
>
> This email and any attachments are confidential. They may also be
subject to copyright.

> If you are not an intended recipient of this email please immediately
> contact us by replying to this email and then delete this email.
>
> You must not read, use, copy, retain, forward or disclose this email
or any attachment.

> We do not accept any liability arising from or in connection with
> unauthorised use or disclosure of the information contained in this
email or any attachment.

> We make reasonable efforts to protect against computer viruses but we
> do not accept liability for any liability, loss or damage caused by
any computer virus contained in this email.