maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Toolchains proposal
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:35:14 GMT

On 6 Nov 07, at 4:00 AM 6 Nov 07, Milos Kleint wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got a working prototype of the toolchains proposal. I'm able to
> define
> the jdk toolchains and have them used in a project. Works with patched
> compiler, surefire, javadoc plugins.
> details are at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Toolchains
>
> issues for resolution:
> 1. currently using build-context, I heard stories about it going away.

My only concern with the build-context, and John can counters as he
deems fit, but it's hard to tell where through the core of Maven the
context actually pops out. You still need to inspect the session, but
the session would be the one place that you could look to see what is
changing as it passes through the core. The rub right now is that many
components internally are not setup to use a session. That's my
opinion: that the session passing through the core could just as
easily serve as a build context it's just architecturally the context
is easier to wormhole through the code.

> 2. due to 1. only works in 2.1, need to make sure it works in 2.0.x
> as well.

With all the parts of the internals that you might need to touch even
if we weren't using the build context I think it would be hard in 2.0.x.

> 3. docs largely missing

Well then, it will currently fit fight in :-)

> 4. should have at least one other implementation of the toolchain,
> next to
> jdk to make the api more stable..

I think the JDK detection and use is the biggy. Is this in any way
hooked up profile activators? For example, are you using the JDK
profile activator to tell the toolchain how it is to behave? Just
curious.

> 5. more?
>
> comments welcome.
>
> Milos