maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: svn commit: r591067 - in /maven/plugins/trunk/maven-site-plugin/src/main/java/org/codehaus/plexus/util: ReaderFactory.java WriterFactory.java xml/
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:37:57 GMT
Le jeudi 01 novembre 2007, Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> Will this really work?
good question: I'll need to make a "real world" test to confirm that, which I
didn't do for the moment.

> The site-plugin depends on doxia, which depends on plexus-utils-1.4.x.
> And IIUC we need Maven 2.0.6 to be able to access classes that are in
> plexus-utils-1.4.x, but are not in plexus-utils-1.1. So unless you add
> *all* classes that differs between 1.1 and 1.4.x of plexus-utils - this
> will fail.
I perfectly understand this: I discovered in july that some p-u classes were
copied to the site plugin sources (to be precise, cli, interpolation and
introspection sub-packages), and I opened MSITE-242 jira issue to ask for
their removal since I found that situation very strange (I was not committer
at that time). You replied me and made me discover this problem about p-u
versions before Maven 2.0.6 and MNG-2892, which I didn't know before. Your
position was that we could not do this removal in site plugin 2.0-beta-6,
since it would mean setting a prerequisite on Maven 2.0.6: ok for me.

Now, if it works for cli, interpolation and introspection sub-package, I think
that XML encoding classes I just added will work too and not interfere: it's
a group of classes that is perfectly coherent and independant of anything
else.

I asked on the list at the beginning of the week which compromise should be
done: make such a copy for every plugin really needing XML encoding support,
or "going forward" and upgrading prerequisite. The answer was: copy and
deprecation with big warnings. So did I for install, deploy and release
plugins (enforce didn't need such a copy, since it has already high
prerequisites). And I just found that this copy had been forgotten for site
plugin => I fixed the mistake

> And anyway it's a maintenance nightmare. Suppose doxia upgrades to
> plexus-utils-1.5 (when that becomes available), then we need to remember
> to add those classes to the site plugin.
Yes, such copy should be done only on well thought parts, because it has the
drawbacks you mention. XML encoding is a part that can IMHO be copied without
creating too much a maintenance nightmare, then I didn't argue too much
against the proposal and I did it as consistently as possible. And I know I
can't change these classes in p-u now without creating a problem: but no
change is anticipated for now, since the only really complicated class is
Xml(Stream)Reader, which has been taken out from Rome where it had been well
tested.

> Unless there is something here I'm misunderstanding, I don't like this
> commit.
I dislike it too.
FYI, on assembly plugin, I didn't copy these classes to read assembly.xml:
full XML encoding support for this file will wait until we accept a version
with Maven 2.0.6 prerequisite.
I am thinking at adding in "Previous Releases" section of
http://maven.apache.org/download.html a full listing of previous versions
with release date, to help people simply see how old is which version and
then help us make clear choices on which micro-version is supported.

Now, if tests or other committer's knowledge make it clear that this
compromise doesn't work or is really bad for this particular plugin, no
problem for me: just add Maven 2.0.6 prerequisite and remove whole
org.codehaus directory from the sources (both XML encoding, cli,
interpolation and introspection). I'm just looking for a consensus on a
consistent situation, whichever it is.

WDYT?

Hervé