maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r564483 - /maven/project/KEYS
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:30:35 GMT

On 13/08/2007, at 8:21 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

>> Only PMC Members decide if it is going to be an official Apache
>> release, creating the release itself
>> can be done by any committer.
>>

> That's news to me.
>
> There's no reference to who can do it here:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

Like most things, if it's unsaid then it's up to each project to decide.

Releases in general are listed as a committer responsibility here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#committer-responsibilities
With the votes being cast by PMC members.

So we don't currently have a rule for it, but the precedent is that
it's fine (eg, Brian was releasing the dependency plugin this year
before being on the PMC, and I'm sure we could find a stack of other
examples). I've seen this happen in other projects before (IIRC, Matt
Hogstrom was the Geronimo RM before he was on the PMC, and he's now
the chair).

FWIW, the release went exceptionally well...

Cheers,
Brett