maven-dev mailing list archives

From Cédric Vidal <c.vi...@proxiad.com>
Subject RE: Announcing Mavenizer 1.0.0-alpha-1
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:35:49 GMT
Hi Brett,

Nice to meet you :) I hadn't seen maven-jar-shared but it looks great, I
will definitely have a look at it. Using the same logic would be great.

Aardvark seems to address the mavenization of the build system of a project
built with maven 1 or ant (the automation of such a process is a very
challenging task by the way); On the other hand, Mavenizer addresses the
different problem of mavenizing artefacts produced by a build system not
based on Maven 2. The two tools are complementary and could indeed share
some common code base.

Regarding Archiva, actually I was also thinking about integrating Mavenizer
with Archiva's index. Currently, a big limitation of Mavenizer is that it
will only consider for its analysis jars found in specified local search
directories provided by the user, it cannot consider artifacts available on
public maven repositories. This means that if the user depends on a class
which cannot be found in the search path, then the generated descriptors
will be incomplete. Mavenizer could be much more efficient if it could also
search in Archiva's index using its web services. Leveraging Archiva's
index, Mavenizer could automatically guess what jars in the search path are
already mavenized, it could search classes globally, it could resolve
artefacts by checksum, etc ...

Well that sounds like there is a lot of very interesting stuff to do!

I would be very pleased indeed to keep in touch.

Regards,

Cédric