maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Raphaël Piéroni" <raphaelpier...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Archetype packaging
Date Wed, 30 May 2007 19:02:49 GMT
Hi,

2007/5/30, Kenney Westerhof <kenney@apache.org>:

> Hi,
>
> That kind of metadata is not handled by packaging, but by the artifact
> manager.
>
> What do you need this for?
>
> If it's to automatically list all available archetypes, that would be
> great.

You guessed \o/

Currently, the selection mojo is based on the same mecanism
as the maven plugins. In interractive mode, it:
- ask for a group from a list (org.apache.maven.archetypes and
org.codehaus.mojo.archetypes)
- retrieves the group metadata
- ask for an archetype found in the metadata (construct a list)
- retrieves the artifact metadata
- ask for the version found in the metadata (construct a list)

I would like to have a new maven-archetype packaging (currently working on)

Concerning the issue of packaging, metadata and archetype selection from
lists, i have some options:
- mimics the plugin metadatas (in groups) but changing the name of the
metadata file in repo
- using the plugin metadatas, this implies to have plugins and archetypes in
separate groups
- have a per repository registry (xml or other) that holds the archetypes
metadatas for the whole repository
   this implies to have a way to 'merge' information from many repos in the
local repo (to be used offline)

WDYT?

Raphaël

We should generalize that by having a special kind of metadata in special