maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JavaOne
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 02:30:01 GMT
Quick summary of where we got to:
- in attendance was Eirik Bjørsnøs, Edwin Punzalan, Eric Redmond,
Carlos Sanchez, Kenney Westerhof, Andrew Williams, Jason van Zyl, and
myself.
- basic discussion of Maven 2.1 roadmap
- we have a few wiki pages with content to bring together
- had some Indian curries and kebabs (and felt the worse for it),
drank some beer, went out to drink some more beer and have dinner.

We discussed a couple of items:
- focus for 2.1 should be on stability, predictability and
reproducibility. Should aim to minimise the umber of roadmap items to
get a release out since the list of possibilities is long.
- already have lifecycle management, profile changes in place from John
- tool chain support is under way, prerequisite for moving to Java 5
- possible additions to dependency management such as a transitive
'compile only' scope, environment configuration templates, arbitrary
properties, activation of profiles via dependencies for dependency
groups, and applying sets of repositories to only some dependencies
- discussed making the POM extensible, particularly in the dependency
elements, plugin configuration.
- dependency management and OSGi
- ability to have alternate version schemes (or make ours a superset
of those we intend to support)

Some items for the roadmap:
- add Java 5 support (possibly requiring Java 5 runtime)
- add global exclusions to dependency management
- make plugin dependency element consistent with normal dependency
element
- if group is omitted from the dependency element, assume it is that
of the current pom for brevity
- we need to make changes to the project builder so that we can read
multiple models
- Jason is preparing a new proposal for maven-artifact which will be
sent to the list
- reviewed what was needed integration testing wise, agreed it was as
listed in SVN

Did I get everything?

We haven't yet split this into milestones or dates. I can start
looking at the wiki content and bring it all back together again as I
was already doing this for Continuum. We didn't really take a look at
JIRA - I imagine this was up to date not that long ago and may just
need a quick pass over.

Cheers,
Brett