maven-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Maven 2 on cygwin
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 19:34:40 GMT
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 5/26/07, Bob Aiello <raiello@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Can Maven 2 be built and run on cygwin as a Unix application?
>> (in other words I am not building it as a Windows app...
>
> Maven 2 is a Java app, so you don't need to rebuild it to run it under
> Cygwin.  I typically unzip the Maven distribution and set M2_HOME
> (with %M2_HOME%/bin in my PATH) and then it works fine either in
> Cygwin or at a command prompt.

Caveat Mavener-on-Cygwin: If your Java installation is native Windows
(mine is - I use Sun's JDK), then Cygwin paths will NOT be properly
interpreted; make sure that you don't use absolute Cygwin paths for
filesystem resources.

(The lack of filesystem path interoperability is my main beef with
Cygwin, which I mostly adore otherwise.)

Steve