maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Remove auto-resolution of plugin versions from Maven 2.1
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 20:35:38 GMT
Le mardi 1 mai 2007, Tomasz Pik a écrit :
> On 5/1/07, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.boutemy@free.fr> wrote:
> > Le mardi 1 mai 2007, Jerome Lacoste a écrit :
> > > Maybe there could be an easy way to let users use the latest ? maybe
> > > something like
> > >   mvn -L  ...  ( L for latest)
> > > that would ignore all specified versions, without requiring a POM
> > > change ? Maybe too radical.
> >
> > such a LATEST option would be very usefull, not only for plugins but for
> > every dependencies, to do regression testing against latest development
> > version of everything. It would be like if Gump was integrated into
> > Maven:
> > http://gump.apache.org/
> >
> > I think we would need to differentiate plugin latest from dependencies
> > latest.
>
> This LATEST thing is already in jira:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2431 And I think it would be very
> useful, both for plugins and for 'normal dependencies'.
not exactly:
- LATEST STABLE is not LATEST : LATEST doesn't try to differentiate STABLE or
not, just get any change to check ASAP if it breaks something
- "mvn -L" is on the command line, not in the pom : the pom refers to chosen
versions, for normal builds, but "mvn -L" is for continuous builds,
overriding chosen versions of the pom, to check if a dependency has an
evolution that will break something. The artifact built with "mvn -L" is not
intended for use, but only as a pro-active test against dependencies
evolution